In the morning, I went to a panel called Digital Media in Movie Marketing ft. Olivia Wilde, and it was fantastic. It's so revolutionary to think about all of the different strategies online that are infiltrating literally every aspect of our daily lives, including and especially entertainment media. I made a lot of awkward eye contact with Olivia Wilde, which was awesome.
I left that panel early to get in line for "Much Ado About Nothing". I'd seen the Kenneth Branagh version in 10th grade, but didn't remember much (read: any) of it. This version was fantastic. A modernized version of the Shakespeare play keeping a majority of the original dialogue worked surprisingly well, although we have seen this in the 1996 "Romeo + Juliet" film. Afterwards, there was a Q&A and being the obnoxious person I am, I asked a question. I always feel the need to because I am certain none of the things that happen to me at a given time will ever happen again, and I like to take full advantage, despite having crippling social anxiety and being so easily starstruck. The girl ahead of me cried while speaking to Joss Whedon and made me feel really awkward in having to follow that up. Regardless, I asked the cast and crew if they had trouble remembering and performing the lines since they were in Shakespearian english and if they at times didn't understand what they all meant. Tom Lenk told me he got a C- in his Shakespeare class in college because his professor didn't like his modernization of his reading and thought this film felt like vindication for that. Nick from BriTANik said that the trick was to have very few lines. Nathan Fillion (!!!) said that he had some trouble at first, but that after a while started to really understand what they meant. Clark Gregg replied along the same lines, although I don't remember what exactly he said because I have a horrible memory and was trembling in their presence.
| "Much Ado About Nothing" cast and crew SXSW 2013 © Cheyenne Matthews-Hoffman |
I also got to take a picture with Brian and Nick from BriTANik!!!
| Brian McElhaney & Nick Kocher SXSW 2013 © Cheyenne Matthews-Hoffman |
Afterwards, I went to the meetup with Franchesca Ramsey (@chescaleigh) and it was phenomenal. She gave me like three hugs and I got to speak with her very candidly about life in general and also on being a black woman in technology. I got to slip in the fact that I'm an ex developer for Obama for America, which I enjoy doing but also hate because I am awful at selling myself.
| Franchesca Ramsey SXSW 2013 © Cheyenne Matthews-Hoffman |
All in all, it was a tremendously successful day!
No comments:
Post a Comment